Let us admit it, life is pretty hard and learning how to be in control of your own life is essential. As days go by, we might find ourselves lost, confused, and mindlessly just going through the motions just to get through another day of work. Everyday is mundane. A repetition. There is nothing that lifts up your spirits and soon enough, you will find yourself burned out. How will you know if you are “burned out”? It is simple! By definition, being burned out means that you are in a state of emotional, mental, and physical exhaustion that is caused by prolonged stress. It happens when you have been overwhelmed with tasks to do, emotionally drained, and find yourself unable to meet contant demands by people around you.
Pause. Let us assess, do you feel this way? Do not take being burned out lightly as it can cause depression and anxiety to some.
Here are some ways I suggest that will allow you to maintain control of your life. Read on!
- LEARN TO SAY NO. Repeat after me, “No”. There are some of us who find it hard to say no to people who keep on asking us to do favors. To be honest, I find it hard to say no becausw I do not want to disappoint people and I want to put on a brave face that I am capable of anything that will be thrown at me. The thing about this is that you will be at risk to wearing yourself down while doing things to please other people. Saying no may be a challenge but it is something that you must learn to start doing. If you cannot handle another task in your plate, but your boss asks more from you, learn to say no. Realize this: if you get sick from working too much, your boss will simply replace you with a fresh graduate. What happens to you? You will be unemployed and sick. Learn to say no, friends.
- TAKE SOME TIME OFF AND HAVE YOUR ME TIME. Believe me, you will feel refreshed afterwards. I wake up early for work but I always spend at least an hour of me time before I go to bed at night. It may not be the wisest decision but I give up an hour of sleep for a little me time. Go on and enjoy doing somehing that you love. Paint! Read a book! Watch your favorite Netflix series! Bake 60 strawberry cupcakes! Do whatever it is you need to do to feel refreshed and yourself again. Remember, all work made Jack a very dull boy.
- CUT OFF SOME TOXIC PEOPLE. You don’t need the extra stress, really. We all have those friends who say passive aggressive stuff under their breath but they make sure that we can still hear them. We all have that aunt or uncle who just can’t stop saying that we have gained weight (as if that’s the worst thing that can happen!) Choose people whom are good for your physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing. And if you can’t cut them off (like your mother or your spouse), be ready to set aside some time to talk it out and iron the issues. It may not end well or it may, but at least boh parties are aware and will be able to make changes.
- GO OFFLINE. I don’t know about you but there are times wherein I wish not to be bothered. I am having a hard time disconnecting from the internet though but whenever I do, it feels refreshing. Don’t you think that there’s a lot of pressure on people right now to respond to messages immediately? Everything is instant which seemed to have resulted in people’s patience to be but a distant memory. Disconnect even just for two hours and go take a walk.
- IT IS THE LITTLE THINGS. What are your thoughts daily? Are you nice to yourself? Life is hard enough on all of us, why make it harder on yourself? We have found out that saying encouraging things to oneself actually works. Be sure to tell yourself nice things like “You are doing your best!”, “You did great today!” and other positive thoughts.
- MANAGE YOUR FINANCE. Money can be a source of stress for most of us. Do you have enough money to last you until the next payday? Where did all your money go? Take some time to manage your finances well. Be organized about it. Set aside money for your bills. Set aside money for emergencies. And be sure to treat yourself once in a while! You deserve it!
- EAT HEALTHY. What you eat is what you are. When you consume an unhealthy diet, then you will be unhealthy in the long run. Besides, eating good food makes you feel good and gives you more energy to do more. It doesn’t have to be over the top. A simple mixed berries smoothie or sugarfree diet can help. Of course, no one expects you to make a quick 360 on your diet. Don’t pressure yourself! Have fun with your food!
- BE REALISTIC ABOUT YOUR EXPECTATIONS. It is perfectly fine to daydream and to want things to go perfectly as you planned them to be in your head, but if they don’t, I hope you have learned to not take it to heart too much. That’s life, you see. It doesn’t really go the way we specifically want it to all the time. Some people have such high expectations that when they don’t get it, they become depressed. What’s meant for you will be yours. Let life happen and surprise you!
What more suggestions can you donate, dear reader? What do you personally do to feel that you have control over your life? Do share with us in the comment section below! We would really love to hear from you!
Hey no pressure but do not forget to subscribe to Kendrickksuperstarryoungg for more awesome articles such as this one! Remember, you are the captain of your own ship! Take care of yourself! Don’t forget to share with your friends who need to loosen up a bit. Have an awesome weekend!