This week we are going to be talking about the importance of personal branding and why you should take time to do it. Want to make a name for yourself online? Personal branding is one way to do it.
What is Personal Branding?
If you’re really curious, you can turn to Google for the definition of personal branding. Some of the definitions that you can find are the following:
- “Personal Branding is the practice of people marketing themselves and their careers as brands. While previous self-help management techniques were about self-improvement, the personal branding concept suggests that success comes from self-packaging.” – Wikipedia
- “Your personal brand is how you appear to the world. … Once people know who you are and begin to identify you with a specific area of understanding or expertise, you’ll be well on your way to becoming the go-to person in your niche or industry.” -Forbes
Don’t worry if you have no idea on how to go about this, most people aren’t even aware of it yet. For a start, to be able to create your personal brand, you should know (or at least have a vision) of who you are or who you aspire to be. Take some time out from your day and think about what you are good at, what you are interested in, and what your plan of action is. I’m talking about your skills, passions, and unique selling points.
It would also help if you have an idea of how people perceive you. What do friends and family say about you? It may not seem important, but if you want to make it in the digital world, what Google says about you is important. Do a quick Google search on your name. The kind of results that appear in your search are important.
THE BENEFITS OF PERSONAL BRANDING
Keep in mind that personal branding is about being true to who you are. With a successful personal branding, you will be able to enjoy the following:
- GREATER CREDIBILITY
– Successfully establishing yourself as an expert on a certain field will give more weight on your words.
- RECOGNITION AND VALUE
– Since you are an expert in your field, you will be easily recognized and valued through it. Let’s say you are an expert on Wedding Photography, every time someone is looking for a photographer for their wedding, your name will certainly pop up in the conversation. This can lead to…
– In other words, income. Money isn’t everything, but it’s something.
– Being partners with other people and/or companies is as beneficial to you as it is to them.
BEGIN CREATING A PERSONAL BRAND:
– There is a quote: “A man who fails to plan is planning to fail.” or something like that. Plans are great! They help you be more organized and focused. You’ll be able to set goals, avoid procrastinating, and know where to start.
– CREATE A VISION
– FIND YOUR NICHE
– PICK A PROPER HEAD SHOT
-PRACTICE WRITING/COMMUNICATING PROPERLY
- UPDATE/SYNC ALL YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA PROFILES
– Make sure that the information found on all your profiles are up to date.
– It is important that your social usernames and URL fit your personal brand.
– Focus on channels or platforms that will work for you.
Example: If you write, start a blog. If you like to make videos, explore Youtube or Vimeo
- MAKE CONNECTIONS
– No man is an island-online and offline. By making the right connections, you are also strengthening your personal brand. Find individuals or groups of people who are in the same niche as you are.
– You can offer to write as a guest on a blog on areas you specialize in.
– You can collaborate on projects, coming up with more content with other individuals in the same(or even different yet compatible) niche.
- AUTHENTICITY AND CONSISTENCY ARE THE KEYS
– It is important that the content you create are based on facts. Be sure to regularly post at least once a week.
- SHAMELESSLY PLUG
– There is nothing wrong with promoting your content. Without promotion, who will be able to find the things you took a lot of time and effort coming up with. How will they know what you are all about if they don’t know you exist? It may be a little weird at first, but promoting your content is a great step!
– Create a Facebook page so your readers and/or viewers can follow you.
Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest are great too.
– Learn the basics of Search Engine Optimization(SEO) and integrate it you your content.
- BE ACTIVE!
– Since you’ve introduced yourself on social media, make sure to respond to queries and interactions on your platforms. Make sure that you update your social medias regularly. No one wants to follow an account that only updates once a year. Most followers want to read or view something new every now and then.
- BE CREATIVE!
– It’s not enough that you are active or that you post regularly but your posts should also be interesting, well-written, and creative enough to hold a reader’s attention. You can try adding images, creative videos, and even infographics to make your content a little more lively. Just make sure that you stick to your niche.
- BE OPEN TO THINGS, IDEAS, AND OTHER PLATFORMS
– Just because you started out on Youtube doesn’t mean that you are going to stick to Youtube forever. I know one famous influencer who started out on Tumblr, then she moved to WordPress, and now she’s on Youtube. She gained more followers now, compared to the times that she just limited herself to Tumblr. As Lindsay Lohan stated in her movie Mean Girls, “The limit does not exist!”
Keep this in your mind at all times, learning never ends and so does improvement. Find your passion and excel in it! Make a livelihood out of it. Do not limit yourself to just one! Explore, and value relationships.
If you want to learn more topics related to this, be sure to hit the subscribe button so that you will be able to receive e-mail updates whenever a new post is up here at Kendrickksuperstarryoungg! Don’t hesitate to leave a comment below for any question that you might have! You can also share this website to your friends and family if you think they’ll be interested. Have a great day!